Monday 30 May 2011

UKWA Freestyle Round 2 - Minnis Bay

So a bit of a 'home spot' for me. Well haven't actually sailed there before but it's as close as it will get I imagine. Just an hours drive!

It was a great weekend and thanks to Pip/Nick Pardoe for putting us up on the Saturday night with an awesome BBQ with the 'Whitstable massive'.

The conditions for the event were really good, 4.5/4.9 weather and on low tide in the afternoon brought really flat water. In the morning it was quite choppy but allowed for some bigger moves. Big shakas, air flakas, forwards, etc...

Overall I managed 2nd to Bubble, with John Palmer 3rd and (UK RRD team rider) Will Rogers taking 4th, I'm pretty pleased with this result, however the judging format certainly favoured Bubbles experience and diverstiy of moves, using the old overall impression format. We did run a super session heat with the best move format, similar to that of the PWA except it was literally the best move to count. This I managed to win with quite a high matador in fin deep water as well as a culo and kono in the same depth... So yeh a good event and I'm off to practice my moves the other way now... pics below...




Photos: Julia Slack/Will Rogers
It really was a good event and a lot of fun. I really would encourage anybody who can make it to come along to the next ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment